Academic program specification for Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Educational Institution: University of Technology
- University Department/Center: Mechanical Engineering Department
- Academic Program Name: Air conditioning and Refrigeration
- Final degree name: Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering / Air conditioning and Refrigeration
- Study system
- Accredited Accreditation Program: None
- Other external influences: none
- Date of preparation of the description: 21/9/2021
- Academic Program Objectives
- Preparing advanced engineering staff in the field of applied mechanical engineering, which bears the responsibility of studying the country’s need for development and progress and capable of meeting the needs of the labor market in state institutions and industry sectors, and preparing an educated generation with science and adopting it as a sound basis to bring about radical changes and put scientific knowledge and scientific method in the service of the country's goals, able to pursue higher studies and adapt to the technology development in order to keep pace with the expansion of human needs.
- Developing a generation of new engineers with a master’s degree, preparing future scientific leaders in the field of applied mechanical engineering, and working to strengthen the position of the University of Technology, and especially the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- Focusing on postgraduate students strengthening their scientific knowledge, especially in mechanical engineering, make them able to solve problems, and possess them the skills necessary to work in mechanical engineering and provide quality services to the community in various aspects as it is the basic material for sustainable development by guiding them to choose the best research tools to expand their activities and deepen their scientific, research and professional specializations.
- Balance in focusing on the theoretical and applied principles of mechanical engineering, and working on providing students with analytical, experimental, computer and methodological tools and means to identify engineering problems, mathematical modeling and solving them, and focusing on introducing modern methods into the learning system that increase students’ creativity and innovation ability, as well as raising the level of studies and the provision of its various requirements in proportion to the needs of the country. And work to link postgraduate studies with the needs of the country’s sustainable development plan and respond to it, develop appropriate applied scientific solutions to the problems that the industrial sector suffers from, or set proposals and controls for them.
- Providing an advanced academic environment suitable for studying and research to contribute to finding solutions to engineering problems using appropriate techniques, in addition to actively contributing to deepening and documenting the university’s relationship with society through the implementation of advisory work, training and development of teaching and administrative staff.
- Required program outputs and methods of teaching, learning and assessment.
A- Knowledge goals
A1- A graduate of a master’s degree in mechanical engineering specialized in applied mechanics has the ability to think critically on his own, solve problems, manage resources and time, describe the applied mechanics specialization and its concepts in a scientific and engineering way, and make the appropriate changes for that.
A2- The ability to analyze engineering and scientific thinking by applying basic and advanced laws in science, mathematics and engineering and to abide by the guidelines and instructions for any effectiveness in the organizational and administrative framework in implementing a project or facing an engineering problem, solving and evaluating, and submitting a proposal or a plan or reformulating, translating or interpreting it.
A3 - The student should be able to speak and write in an effective scientific and engineering style in Arabic and English.
A4- Adherence to the ethics of the profession and the ability to demonstrate high research and professional competence in addition to the commitment to personal appearance and behavior.
A5- He should be familiar with international mechanical engineering standards, assess market needs, apply quality management concepts in engineering work, and acquire skills in information technology.
A6- He should be interested in protecting the environment from pollution from industry and other wastes.
B - Skills objectives of the program
B1 - The ability to apply mechanical engineering techniques to applied mechanics, taking into account industrial and commercial constraints.
B 2 - Analyzing engineering problems and reaching their solution and being able to suggest appropriate alternatives.
B 3 - Scientific investigation and evaluation.
B4 - Constructive engineering discussions and opinion.
- Teaching and learning methods
There are many teaching and learning methods which can be used in the master’s stage. For instance, theoretical and practical lectures, discussion and dialogue, seminars for specific topics, students’ theoretical and practical research, and office activities. These techniques help students to reach the following results:
1- The ability to distinguish between correct and incorrect information.
2- Ease of scientific formulation and correction.
3- The ability to memorize and guess.
4- The ability to link engineering concepts, principles and instructions.
5- The ability to recall, link, and interpret.
- Evaluation methods
- Engineering projects and seminars.
- Scientific debate, oral dialogue, quarterly and final exams.
- Practical activities and case studies.
- Writing and submitting reports and taking notes on the engineering experiences gained in the field visits.
- Achievement tests to determine the learner's level of acquisition of information and skills in a previously learned subject through his answers to questions and paragraphs that represent the content of the course.